17.9.11

Help Save Your Android's Battery

  This is just gonna be a quick post so let's begin. I'm always looking for ways to save my battery charge on my android. It's a great os but it's loves juice. JUUUIIICE! Ahem, anyways, I recently found a way to really save on the battery usage. Many of you probably know that when chillin at home, your phone will run much faster on your wifi network than on 3g. This mean if I'm home I'm on wifi. Games and websites love it and play much nicer with the connection.
  Recently though I found out that every time your phone goes to sleep it stops using your wifi and starts pinging for the nearest cell tower. So while you think it's doing nothing, really it's wasting your battery. There is a solution though. I guess that's obvious or I wouldn't be writing this. Here's what you do.
  1. Make sure you're connected to your wifi network.
  2. Bring up your menu screen and go to Settings.
  3. Go to Wireless & Networks
  4. Go to Wi-Fi Settings.
  5. Push your menu button and select Advanced
  6. Select Wi-Fi sleep policy and choose the never option.
  That's it. Now whenever your wifi is on, it will actually stay connected and not try to revert to 3g every time it sleeps. I know this sounds easy but it really does make a huge difference. I can usually get through an entire day now with just one charge. 
  Now to make your life a little easier you may want to think about downloading a widget called Wifi OnOff from the android market. This is completely optional but it's free and I highly recommend it. All it does is make switching your wifi on and off from the home screen. Nice and simple, no menu's.
  Hope this helps someone out. It did wonders for my phone and my wife's phone, which I guess I should mention are kyocera/sanyo zio's. Out of all the battery saving tricks I've tried, this one gave me the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment